Great Synagogue Conservation Sydney

The Great Synagogue, Sydney, consecrated in 1878, is the earliest synagogue in New South Wales still in use. It is also one of the best examples of High Victorian architecture in Sydney, with the remarkable richness and originality of its decoration in carved sandstone and timber, moulded plaster, metalwork, glass and tiling, Orwell & Peter Phillips have directed a series of conservation projects at the Synagogue since the 1980s, including two campaigns of sandstone conservation (1987 and 2000), internal redecoration (2005), conservation of gasoliers (2007) and conservation of tiled floors (2010). Photograph of ceiling part of archival record by Chris Bennett Photography.

  • Peter Phillips
  • Suite 1504, 109 Pitt Street
    Sydney, NSW 2000
  • Tel 02 9221 8882
    Fax 02 9221 8887