Homebush Railway Station, 2008

Conservation of timber platform building

Homebush Railway Station, once the western terminus of the inner suburban system, contains an important group of railway structures from the late 19th century. The timber building on Platform 5/6 is one of the most intact surviving elements of the 1982 station. Originally designed as an office and waiting room, later adated as a signals room and now disused and badly damaged by termites, it was to be converted for use by train crews as part of the Rail Clearways program. The brief required archival recording of the existing building, followed by documentation and oversight of the conservation works. The finished building, apparently little changed despite the extent of work, exemplifies the Burra Charter principle “as much as necessary, as little as possible”.

  • Peter Phillips
  • Suite 1504, 109 Pitt Street
    Sydney, NSW 2000
  • Tel 02 9221 8882
    Fax 02 9221 8887
    Email peter@opp.net.au